Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Old News at This Point...

 For anyone who hasn't heard, at the end of June, I received my mission call to the California Fresno Mission. The process of actually putting my mission papers in took much longer than I had anticipated, and honestly I just couldn't wait for the mail to bring my call to me. So, I headed up to Salt Lake and picked up my call myself from church headquarters (I was already up in Salt Lake to pick my mom up from the airport). We got a little bit lost in the building looking for the missionary department, and I felt like we were wandering around the Ministry of Magic for Harry Potter...I was having sortof a magical day. We did finally find the missionary department and the sweet senior missionary at the desk asked me what I needed. I could see the envelope with my mission call in it sitting on her desk and I said, "That's mine, I'm Sister Caramella," as I pointed at the envelope.  She was so excited and leaped to her feet.  I kindof think she wanted me to open it right then and there.  We did manage to snag a picture together! :)


With my white envelope! :)


Oh you know, just basking in the glory of temple square with my mission call!


I waited until I got back to Provo to open her up, and I decided I wanted to open it alone.  I wanted a minute to react by myself.  I didn't want to have to put on a show or act because of who was around.  We drove over to Kiwanis Park and I found a nice tree to sit under all by myself.  And I opened the envelope:

Dear Sister Caramella,
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  You are assigned to labor in the California Fresno Mission.  It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.

The letter goes on to give more details about when I'll be serving and the work I will be performing as a missionary.  I'm not going to lie I was a little bit surprised.  I really thought I would be going to another country, or at the very least learning a language.  But, at the end of the day I know I'm going where the Lord wants me and needs me, and there is nothing more thrilling than that!

For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.  Alma 29:8

Calling my family and friends to tell them the good news!


Oh, and you know it was Tuesday, so we headed over to El Azteca for our regular taco tuesday ritual :)


As a fun sidenote...my friend Maddy, directly to my right, received her mission call today to the Brazil Santa Maria Mission! I couldn't be more thrilled for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment